Thursday, May 12, 2005

Minor league strategy

My proper catch-up post is on its way. For this moment, just a couple strategy notes from PLO8 and PLO.

1. I think many players worry too much about getting quartered when contemplating a bet on the river. I believe it is worth indeed getting quartered from time to time (or just splitting the pot but paying more rake than you might), to avoid one of two bad things happening if you check it through.

First, you MIGHT be on the right side of the 3/4 with, say, your nut low and lousy one or two pair, it does happen. Secondly, of course, your opponent might fold. Missing out on these two good things is worth risking the odd losing bet when you are indeed quartered.

2. I had a guy the other night, this is in straight PLO, say 'I never understand why people raise before the flop. It is so easy to lose a pot.' What a pillock. I suppose that is why I am so tardy in moving back up to bigger games.

Anyway, in the very hand when he said that, I had raised pre-flop and then took the pot down when I raised on the flop with virtually nothing. I still don't think he got it.

Proper recap of my holiday and return to poker later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home