Monday, April 25, 2005

A23 brigade

It is most odd, and surprisingly irritating, to hear my colleague speak in an entirely different accent on the phone to her mother than she does at all other times. And I do mean a COMPLETELY different accent.

Perhaps it irritated me especially today because the lengthy conversation resulted in my having to answer call after call that was meant for her. Work, eh? Actually, I am toying with the idea of setting myself a date to quit and then just doing it. Maybe in about six months. I am considering this because it is probably the only way to make myself actually work towards building up a bankroll with which I can have a go at it. Setting myself targets of hours played has been moderately successful - I didn’t make the last target but it was a great motivator, and am going to make the twenty hour target I set for this Friday.

Since losing on Thursday I have played with greater focus, and done well. I think I’ve won about $15 an hour, including winning a $10 NLHE sit and go that I played just for a laugh on Saturday morning. I found that rather easy and might play a few more.

Last night I had a very nice session of PLO8, despite beginning by playing a hand in a manner that caused one opponent to mock me by implying he was going to tag me as a fish in his notes. Still, I don’t think I was as far out of line as he reckoned. I remain convinced that you can make more money with unconventional hands in PLO8 than the A23 brigade realise, and my $/bb figure in Poker Tracker Omaha looks very healthy thankyouverymuch.

Actually, I need to do some work in PTO. Frankly, my database is of limited use for opponent-tracking at the moment, since I don’t have a single opponent with even a tenth as many hands recorded as me, making comparisons difficult. However, it occurs to me, after reading a discussion of high-only starting hands on 2+2, that I might benefit from examining the stats regarding the various hands I have played. I believe that I make money from high-only starting hands, but I can see some logical reasons why it might be quite difficult to do so, and want to check out just how they have performed for me.

Moving on, the weekend overall was quite pleasant considering my complete lack of funds. I played snooker on Saturday afternoon - my friend paid - and felt very relaxed and played very well. ‘Doctor Who’ was pretty good in the evening.

Lots of thoughts about girls and such, too. On Friday I got a rare phone call from my ex, which was a really pleasant surprise. And on Sunday I went on a family outing to a place by the sea where me and The Girl I Am No Longer Seeing spent a pleasant Sunday afternoon not so long ago. I found that a little melancholy, I must admit, and dwelt somewhat on my decision to finish with her.

The choice never changes; the pleasure of a beautiful body next to you in bed, the ego-boost of having ‘possession’ of a pretty creature, the good times spent together, versus total freedom and self-indulgence. With the added factor that my complete unwillingness to enter into ‘living together’ probably dooms any relationship to a painful end at some point anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home