Wednesday, August 25, 2004

We can rebuild him

For the sake of comprehensiveness, and for something to do as the workday grinds to a close, I will record last night's short session.

I got home rather drunk, and only played because I had the downstairs to myself. I lost two out of three heads-up games; the last one because I was getting a headache and was bored, so I chucked it all-in with K2 suited. I outflopped my grateful opponent's AK, but he overtook me on turn and river.

Meanwhile, I was playing 50c/$1 five card stud and won a few dollars to make it a break-even hour or so. Also made a bad fold there on the end when my hidden pair of sixes seemed beaten but wasn't. I still can't get to grips with how optimistic some of my opponents are.

In fact, I did slightly boost my bankroll because I picked another football winner, and this time actually got round to betting on it.

Anyway, that's all very boring. Today is payday, hallelujah. I had a quick nose around the poker section of 'Borders' and bumped into one of my home-game friends. I hope to host a game or two over the next couple of weeks, because I will be house-and-cat-sitting for a friend while he is on holiday. Therefore, two weeks of glorious solitude and plenty of poker.

I am also going to make a deposit into my poker account in order to be able to play wider and/or higher again. I want to get back into the Pot Limit Omaha games when they look favourable, as I do miss the game.

My aim is to regain my position of a couple of months back, building the bankroll again. PLO is usually a good way of doing that, as long as I can be disciplined enough to get out of bad games - and bold enough to play properly. At the same time, the enforced sojourn in PLO tourneys and low-limit stud has widened my game selection horizons such that I feel hopeful of being able to pick good games in a sensible manner. I fancy trying a bit of heads-up limit cash (at low levels) just to add to the mix.

Amid all of this, I have decided to keep comprehensive records for a while. Now that I play various games, I want to track where the money is coming from and going to. I also intend to start recording heads-up opponents and building up a list of players to seek out or to avoid.

I am brimming with enthusiasm for poker, and a desire to play with real commitment and intelligence. Nice feeling, long may it continue.

1 Comments:

At 5:58 pm, Blogger Blu said...

I was curious - where do you play 5-card stud? That would be fun for a change of pace. I walked into B-Dalton Bookstore at my local mall over the weekend and they had a stand set up right at the cashier with at least 20 poker titles on it. It is amazing sometimes.

On a side note, I created a link to your blog from mine. If it is a problem, please let me know and I will remove it.

Thanks for the great posts!

Blu

 

Post a Comment

<< Home