Wednesday, August 18, 2004

One degree of Kevin Bacon

Phew, life is a bit frantic at the moment. Loads to do both professionally and personally; I am going into debt management - which pretty much screws my credit rating for some years, but should mean a slightly less crippling proportion of my income goes on debt repayments each month. Therefore avoiding me borrowing more and more as I struggle with a shortfall of actual money to live on.

Professionally, procrastination is catching up with me somewhat, and this week I am out of the office on visits to customers both yesterday and tomorrow. PLUS I have the dentist appointment this afternoon, making today a shortened day.

The visits have some consolations; it is nice to sit in the company pool car and listen to CDs while cruising along the motorways. It beats sitting here, in much the same way that quad Aces beats no pair, seven high.

Further, I am managing to tie some personal things into it. Yesterday I was at a prominent seaside town where a girl I know has been living for eighteen months or so, and I haven't seen her in all that time. Actually, she is one of my life's missed opportunities. She is a really hot Danish girl who I used to work with some years ago. I always fancied her very much (having a functioning penis and all) but thought she was out of my league - blonde, fit bod, etc. Some time later, by which time I was in the throes of what became my seven year relationship, it transpired that she had always been attracted to me too. We proceeded to have a few sneaky sort-of-dates, I did kiss her a couple times, but the ball was in my court and I was not prepared (at the time) to end my relationship to be with her, even though I was extremely tempted.

We stayed good friends anyway, and she was ironically the one person I confided in when I did end up having an affair with somebody else a couple of years later. But with me moving out of town in one direction and her in the other, we hadn't seen each other in eighteen months until I met her on the beachfront yesterday on a balmy summer afternoon.

And the great thing is, I am definitely over her. Maybe she's lost a little of her looks and sparkle, I dunno. She's a couple years older than me so its bound to happen sooner or later... ha ha.... Maybe its just the passing of time. Maybe its the boyfriend she is with, even though he seems a very nice bloke. Either way, it is nice to have some closure there! I think if I met the woman I had my affair with, I would still be hooked. Tallish, slim, olive skin, raven black shoulder-length hair, dirty eyes, a bit of a Helena Christensen look, a sexy accent, a naughty tattoo and an intimate piercing. And, oh yeah, a great personality!

Enough of that. Two sit and goes on Monday night, simultaneously. The first featured two clueless non-Omaha players, which had me licking my lips. I never found a hand though, and ended up taking a stand (possibly slightly too early) against one of them who turned out to have AAKK. I turned a straight but he rivered a flush and I was out, eliminated by somebody who was only playing Omaha by accident!

The second went better. I was kicking myself a couple of times, when I made very marginal folds with decent draws against a couple of already all-in opponents. I chose to see people get eliminated and preserve my reasonable stack, but actually would have won both hands and been a very healthy chip leader. However, once again I moved up at least two gears when we got short-handed and got headsup - but with a 2-1 chip disadvantage. To cut a short story even shorter, I won the headsup inside four or five hands.

So, the record reads: Played 20. Cashed 11 times. 6 wins. 4 runner-ups. 1 third place. I am justifiably proud of that (especially the ratio of 1st and 2nd places compared to 3rd)and will keep plugging away, although I may deposit some more bucks on payday in order to widen my game selection possibilities a little.

PS I remembered another celebrity I have been told I look like. A friend thought I looked like Kevin Bacon when we watched 'Mystic River' (good movie, especially if you like Grim Sauce with your Misery Pie). I could sort of see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home