Friday, August 20, 2004

Non-smokers die every day

It is my birthday. Big frigging deal. I'm pretty miserable. Drinks with lots of people tonight, but I am not looking forward to it because there will be different 'branches' of my friends there and I don't feel like they are all terribly compatible. I am bound to disappoint someone by not talking to them, or by the choice of venue, or whatever. Frankly, I could do without the whole damn thing.

My curmudgeonly mood is not helped by turning thirty-whatever and being at such a pitiful point in my life. A lazy-arse at work who can never focus on his career, with no house and no car, saddled with crippling debts and a credit rating that will very soon preclude me doing all those cool things that credit enables - buying shit online, joining new poker sites, and so on.

Jeeeeeeeesus, I am a miserable fucker. I need a few lagers inside me. Which is kind of worrying.

Anyway, I had a few in me when I wrote that last excuse for a post. As it happened, shortly after posting that I had a tear of three big hands in that five card stud game, and finished up over forty bucks winners. Not shabby for a $1/$2 game, just rather galling that only a couple of ugly outdraws prevented it from being almost a three figure haul. And I could REALLY do with one of those right now!

Unfortunately, last night did not go so well. I lost a little in an even smaller five card stud game (the $1/$2 wasn't running), mainly through calling down hands that I would not have done if the stakes hadn't been so low. But, far more frustratingly, I failed to cash in three out of three sit and goes.

4th, 6th and 4th was the awful story. I didn't do much wrong in any of them, although I may have pushed a little too hard in the third one when we were four-handed. I made a chump mistake in the end, marrying the King-high flush - only slightly mitigated because when its four-handed its a lot harder to put down. That left me crippled, and I got eliminated when my KKTx went up against AJJx and saw a damn Ace on the flop.

Oh, the elimination hand in the previous game was painful. The guy had four outs after the turn, and hit one of them. That's the margin sometimes between going into a great chip position - and being eliminated.

Ah well. Yesterday was quite neat, another pleasant drive to a meeting. This time I listened to one of my Bill Hicks CDs. If you don't know who he is (or rather, was) then find out - you'll thank yourself for it.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home