Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Three out of three ain't bad

Interesting how my old online journal pretty much died, whilst I write this 'poker blog' four or five times a week without fail. Am I a monomaniac?

Last night went very well. I played three heads-up Hold 'Em games and won all three, with a little bit of luck. One of 'em took about three hands, since I flopped a set of eights while my opponent flopped a set of sixes.

I was really marking time until I could get in an Omaha sit and go, and I ended up playing three of those. I came third in the first, fairly standard stuff, and then played two at once for only the first or second time.

For a time, I feared missing out in both. I folded a couple of decent hands in the first to action from opponents who proved to be clueless, or optimists, or clueless optimists. And in the second, I couldn't find or flop anything and was short man for most of the early going.

However, the fact is that most people are far too impatient in these games, so I bided my time while the blinds remained too small to either hurt or be worth picking up. I took third in the first game, going out somewhat unluckily as soon as we hit the money.

That left me free to focus on the other game, which was progressing slowly. I remained short stack, but everyone was fairly level which gave me the encouagement I needed to start raising as the blinds reached 100/200 and 200/400. By the time we were five-handed with blinds of 400/800 (a very rare situation) I was chip leader. I continued to bully, only getting hurt once when I had the short stack all-in but he fluked out on me.

To cut to the chase, I felt I played extremely well - especially in the short heads-up battle - and fully deserved my victory. So three out of three headsup games won, and three cashes out of three in the sit and goes. A very rewarding evening of play. Hell, I can drink tonight!

Oh, Wolves won 4-2 at odds of 2.18. Which is great, except I forgot to back them in time for kick-off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home