Monday, August 09, 2004

State of the nation

When I began this blog only a little over two months ago (it seems longer), things were wonderful in the kingdom of poker; I was winning session after session and growing a realy nice bankroll for my level of play.

Since then, things have gone downhill quite badly. My personal finances have required me to draw upon my bankroll, and a few disastreous sessions have decimated what was left. This has had the knock-on effect of causing me to play a tiny, scared-money bankroll with an inevitable loss of freedom and strength in my play.

So what am I taking from this terrible run that is positive, life-affirming and helps me?

Nothing.

It just fucking sucks.

As I write I have just been fucked up the arse by a crappy river at pot limit Omaha. It always seems to be the way that when you are short-stacked and struggling then the bad beats start flowing. Ten minutes ago I got beat in a heads-up match in which I was pummelling my opponent. It reached the point that he just started calling me with any hand whatsoever when I was trying to finish him off, and proceeded to horribly out-draw me in three consecutive hands to win the match.

So there you go. Profits have plummeted from over a thousand dollars to about half that. Winning sessions have become less frequent. My confidence in my game has taken a nosedive.

An awful lot of this comes down to my now pathetic bankroll, which really inhibits me.

Anyway, lets move along. Its been a mixed weekend. Friday night was cool. Another night where I was pleasantly drunk and played strangely well on it. I won $20 at pot limit Omaha, and took a satisfying second in another Omaha sit and go after being ridiculously short-stacked.

Saturday was uncool. It began with a really, really, really annoying session of pot limit five card stud. People made a couple of calls on the end that I will never understand (but winning calls none the less), and I got stiffed bad when a woman made a straight against my (A)TA hand.

After that a headsup match went against me, while pot limit Omaha started well and then got frustrating as I folded preflop to heavy action with borderline hands like QQxx, and such hands turned into the nuts while the ones I did play couldn't hit a flop. At the same time, I won another Omaha sit and go. That gave me an extraordinary record of six consecutive finishes in the top two: 1,2,2,1,2,1.

The night was a loss of $30, exactly negating Friday's win.

(Just flopped quad 9's at PLO, checked flop and turn, five opponents, could not get a bet, call or raise out of a single one of them)

(Just went out 4th in a sit and go. Three short stacks. I was the only one trying to make moves and get somewhere. I got incredibly cruelly beaten in the end, the same guy beat me with a two outer and then an eight outer when we clashed and I had him in all sorts of trouble).

My run of sit and go cashes has ended today, with a 7th and an extremely unlucky bubble.

Wow, I have turned into a bad beat bore. Tonight has also sucked, as the bracketed stories have illustrated. I am now about to put my bankroll into a pot limit Omaha game and go crazy-mental with it. I always did like the final scene of 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid'.

Postscript: 2nd in a sit and go. With three left one was not playing any more. I had a monster chip lead, something like 12,000 to 3.00 divided between the other two. I let the active guy take second before I started playing him, which came back to bit me in the arse when he mounted an absolutely unbelievable comeback headsup. He won every single hand. I am an idiot. I could have eliminated him and been headsup with an absent player! Feedback please: Am I am complete idiot who lacks killer instinct, or a decent guy who did the 'right thing'?

1 Comments:

At 12:58 am, Blogger Ignatious said...

doing the 'good guy' thing there is non-existent. i'm not sure why you'd even fathom doing that. hell, the guy's hard drive could have crashed. he could have been at work, playing surreptiously, and had to leave when the boss came back. who knows? but damn, if you are lucky enough to have someone sitting out in that situation, what's the issue?

sorry to hear about the bad ran, my man. that truly sucks. you may wanna consider a short step away to regroup and/or clear yer head. my humble two cents.

looking forward to reading about the worm turning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home