Monday, August 23, 2004

Taxi!

What a curmudgeon I was on Friday. The night proved to be most enjoyable, and the two people I was most worried about (my girl and my very best friend) got on great with the crowd that neither of them really knew before.

Sadly, I passed my limit booze-wise and threw up copiously shortly after we moved on and into a small nightclub. TAXI!

Had a quiet weekend after that, with the girl I am seeing. This included going to see ‘I, Robot’ at the cinema, which really sucked. I’m baffled by the generous reviews this movie has received; I thought it was a tortuously plotted, cliché-ridden, patchy-effected mess that did no justice to the old Isaac Asimov stories. I anticipate ‘The Bourne Supremacy’ being far better.

So, no poker content to speak of, since I haven’t played. As usual, after a little break (four days by tonight) I am raring to go. I’m in the mood to play with real concentration and focus. Hmm, that ought to be a given didn’t it?!

Looking back over my records, I have made just shy of $700 since the end of March. On the one hand I am really disappointed with that, because:

(a) it could be so much better, given that I have made a lot of bad decisions, gone on tilt here and there and generally made some bad bankroll decisions

(b) it just isn’t that much money

On the other hand I play at the bottom-feeder end of the stakes spectrum, so expecting a lot better may be unrealistic. And heck, at least I’m a winning player over the five months! While my plan to pay for my holiday out of my bankroll went tits-up at the last minute, the little withdrawals I have made from the bankroll over this period have helped me keep afloat, buy beer, catch trains and so on.

Still, it’s a long, long way from The Dream. Yes, THAT dream – you know the one I’m talking about! And I lived that dream for about three months last summer; it went very well indeed to begin with, playing exclusively pot limit Omaha up to $1/$2 blinds. But I was under-bankrolled, to the extent that losing a $600 pot (to an abysmal, weak flush-only draw which hit the river) knocked me for six… if it didn’t actually put me on tilt, it certainly knocked the stuffing and confidence out of me.

Big lesson learned, once the wounds had healed. Call me naïve, call me stupid, call me foolish, but I still harbour the dream. I just know now that I need a reeeeeal big bankroll before I can even consider trying again.

Time for a football bet. Wolves are begging to be backed on the Asian Handicaps at Rochdale tonight. On a bet strength scale of 1-10, its probably a 6. I’ll let you know tomorrow if the bet wins or loses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home