Friday, August 27, 2004

Generous B cups

I notice that my fiftieth post is approaching. Maybe somebody will send me a cake.

Interesting day at work so far. I spent half an hour tipping crumbs and crap out of my keyboard, then using a paperclip to remove the fluff buried under the keys. Try it some time. And then I visited the water fountain. When you first press the button it tends to spurt a jet out before settling down, and this time it got me right in the eye… I felt like Stan Laurel.

I enjoyed Boy Genius’s post about breasts. I love breasts too, but not the mammoth mammaries that he favours. Usually too big, too floppy, too sloppy. My current girl has a really lovely pair of generous B cups; perfectly round and neither too soft nor too firm. MMmmm.

Meanwhile, why can I manage to go about twenty hours without a cigarette but then crack every time and have another? I don’t even enjoy the damn things. Not much.

Moving on; poker. How did last night go? The short answer is that I played for a little over three hours and lost five dollars. That’s not exactly fantastic, but I feel very calm about it, grateful that it wasn’t a larger loss (more in a moment) and happy to think that if I didn’t earn dollars then I learnt some more things about the game.

I played PLO cash for most of the time, and it did not go well. The table wasn’t terrible, nor was it great, and my cards were real dry. I mean reeeeeeeal dry. I’m happy that I stayed patient, picked up a couple of pots with bluffs, made a good call on the end versus a maniac when I had one pair, and managed to get paid when I flopped Aces full. I’m not happy that I perhaps was a touch too weak, that I got stiffed on the river when I was trapping a chap with my full house and he filled on the end, or that in the end it took a rather fortunate rivered flush to leave me with only a $23 loss.

Debatable play of the night (apart from that flush-draw call) was a $20 bluff-raise on the end when it was clear my two opponents feared the nuts. Sadly, one called with the non-nut straight. It was probably worth a stab, but I also remember some words of Bob Ciaffone (I forget which book) along the lines of “I prefer to bluff when I believe my opponent is weak, rather than try to make somebody put down a big hand”.

Anyways, I got back in the game and survived a very poor run of cards, so onwards and upwards…

In other action, I played another PLO sit and go, and cashed. Once again, I went into overdrive with five left. One chap had a huge percentage of the chips, so if I was going to get into the money I wanted to have a realistic shot at him. Therefore I took on my other opponents and managed to get heads-up with only a 9-6 disadvantage. I got ahead, then had him murdered with a full house – until he hit a two outer to salvage it on the river. I kept my head and came back again to win it soon after.

My record in these sit and goes is really good. 28 played, 14 cashes. 8 first places. Longest run of cashes = 6. Longest run without cashing = 4. Have won 2 out of 3 when it has got heads-up. Lowest finishing position = 7th. Average finishing position = 3.25. Most common finishing position = 1st.

For all of that, I have made a net profit of only $122, because these are the piss-ant $5+1 games. Too small, and too high a rake. I have to move up.
I did move up to $10 heads-up no-limit hold ‘em tourneys last night, playing 3 and losing 2 of them. We’ll see how that goes, but I’d like to think I can win 6 or 7 out of 10 if I put my mind to it.

Finally, I had a first dabble in heads-up limit play - just 50c/$1 hold ‘em. I played for half an hour or less and took my opponent for $10, which was pretty much like shelling peas. If he was indicative of the general standard then I might not stray too much higher! Not until the bankroll has grown considerably anyway.

Tonight, the home game is on. I find myself strangely less enthused than I used to be. I have come to view poker very much as a for-profit enterprise, and five or six-handed no-limit hold ‘em tournaments are not exactly top of my list of strengths. Yes, the miserable sod is back. I’m sure I will enjoy it in the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home