Thursday, September 23, 2004

Forty minutes

It is quite rare that I get a comment left in my blog, but they are always welcome. Yesterday DoubleA’s emphasised that 6-max tables are indeed a good thing.

Based on my recent sessions, I would obviously agree, although that ethusiasm is tempered by some horrible batterings I have taken there in the past. As always (and I make no apology for using this phrase over and again) game selection is what it is all about. And there is no doubt that while two or three weaker players at a full table is good but nothing to write home about, two or three at a 6-max table represents a most marvellous opportunity.

There are other good things about the shorter-handed tables. First, you are in good position - on the button or next to it - one third of the time, which has certainly helped me (if not my opponents) to succumb far less frequently to the temptation of getting involved out of position. Secondly, I still play tighter than most of my opponents yet am involved in plenty of hands thanks to the slightly lower hand values and that frequency of being on the button or cut-off.

The results just keep on coming, for the moment. Last night I managed only forty minutes at the internet café after work (yes I stayed out all night again, I just can’t face going home and being talked at non-stop at the moment). I found myself two-tabling, one full table and one 6-max, and walked away with $97 profit. A combination of plenty good decisions and plenty good luck. The luck was typified by flopping the nut straight with minimal back-up and seeing no flush card or paired board on turn or river.

I made over a hundred bucks for the day because I also stuck a small wager on a football match. I backed Spurs to win by two goals or more and they promptly went and won 6-0.

I feel good about my game at the moment. Even during that bad run last week I don’t think I was doing too much wrong, and adding six max tables to my repertoire can only help with the game selection decisions - I didn’t even used to look at them.

I feel bad about everything else though. Work, money, women, my life. It is not like me to feel down for more than a few hours at a time, ever, but I have felt almost tearful more than once this week. I don’t like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home