Saturday, September 18, 2004

Moan moan moan moan moan

I feel like a stuck record. Or, to be more contemporary, a stuck CD.

I'm just having an horrendous run of beats in Omaha. I'm playing well, being bold when the situation demands it, taking down a fair few pots with bluffs and semi-bluffs; but when the money goes in for a big confrontation I simply can't have a hand hold up, nor hit a strong draw.

Last night I played for about two hours and finished down $24, after a series of hands where my flopped set (usually top set) got run down by straights or flushes. The one time the board paired, it gave a dude with higher two pair the full house - but I have to hold my hands up and say I should not have gone past the flop with that hand. Having the shrewdness and ability to fold a flopped bottom set is one thing that can separate good and bad PLO players, and I couldn't bring myself to do it, so I am not putting that one down to bad luck.

This morning's hour and a quarter (so far) has been galling. Basically, if I have the set then the board fails to pair and the other guy hits his draw, and if the other guy has the set then my monster draw misses. I'm down when I could easily be sitting at the table with over $250.

PLO can be a madening game. I am in that 'theoretical dollar' hell I used to drone on about; where my money is going into pots with an enormous positive EV; where mathematically I 'own' a huge proportion of the pot on the flop and/or turn; only to own none of the pot at all on the river.

I am just about managing to keep my head, while the hyper-aggressive player accross from me is having the amazing good fortune to have his sets hold up time and time again.

Enough of this. Time to get my hair cut...

2 Comments:

At 2:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey 89TJ. Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching chipco poker chips. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though Moan moan moan moan moan is way off base from chipco poker chips I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don’t your url and feel free to visit me here at chipco poker chips. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work.

 
At 5:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been on-line searching for hours for information regarding poker chip trick videos and stumbled across your blog during my journey :-) 89TJ your blog is really amazing! Keep up the great work. Obviously my search on poker chip trick videos was way off when compared to Moan moan moan moan moan and find it funny how it landed me here. The internet is a funny thing. Anyways, great job on your blogging and keep up the good work! I been searching for poker chip trick videos for over 2 hours and needed a break from it. I started reading your blog and really enjoyed it.
P.S I will add you to my favorites so I can come back and visit later

 

Post a Comment

<< Home