Wednesday, September 22, 2004

More six-max

As promised, here is the skinny on the all-in hand I won on Monday evening. Taking my opponents’ cards into account, I had 10 outs from 36 remaining cards when I went all-in (first to act) on the turn. I was 2.6-1 and because they both called I received about 4-1 on my money.

So did I get lucky? Well, yeah. I was lucky to get those odds, because the third guy (who had 5 outs) should not have called. The other chap had bottom set, so he was a strong favourite. In a way, it was slightly better than I thought, because I figured my Jack-high flush draw must have been dead, but in fact I had non board-pairing diamonds going for me as well as the moderate straight draw.

I didn’t make a great play, but it wasn’t quite downright awful, and ten outs is plenty more than what people have been bad-beating me with lately.

Last night I played for a total of two hours; six-max PLO cash and a $10+1 sit and go.
The cash game went well again, and I think I played really well. I made a number of good decisions, ranging from preflop isolation re-raises against short stacks to well thought-out calls on the river. I played with appropriate boldness, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. It was ‘only’ a $39 win over two hours, but I’ll happily take that. I do intend to keep playing six-max when the lineup is okay; when there are one or two bad players in the game you stand far more chance of getting their chips than if you are at a full ring game, where your attempts to exploit them are more likely to run into big hands held by strong players. Six-max could be the way forward, with disciplined game selection.

I’ve been a bit quiet on the sit and goes recently, barely played any in at least a week. Last night I got into the rare situation of ending up all-in on the second or third hand – something I generally avoid with almost religious fervour. I had a big straight draw, bet big and got called on the flop. I missed the turn, but sensed weakness in my opponent so I went for it. He thought and thought before calling, and turned over two pair (a pretty dodgy call). Luckily I hit my straight and had a stack that meant I could comfortably play through the tourney and see a few flops when I fancied it.

I lost a little, won a little, and cruised into the money. Then I was lucky enough to knock out the other two guys in quick succession, and finally got my first win at the $10+1 level under my belt. Which felt good and, unless I am mistaken, puts me into profit at this sit ‘n’ go level at last.

I’m not sure why I have had a break from the sit ‘n’ goes lately, but I really must keep playing them. They are an excellent low-risk game for me, and a superb second (or third?) table because they require so little attention until the business end.

1 Comments:

At 6:29 pm, Blogger doubleas said...

Amen brother...6-handed games are where the money is since you'll have more opportunity to get into hands with poor players. It happens to be more fun as well because you end up playing that many more hands.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home