Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Booking wins, winning books

Hmm, I have become rather lax with the blog. I wouldn't blame any regular reader for having given up after my recent glut of 'running bad' moans.

Anyways, I have been plugging away with sets of three sit 'n' goes (I really will post my lengthy thoughts on them, soon) and the usual PLO8. I'm still recording a very low ROI in the sit n goes, though I remain convinced that I'm not getting much luck; the number of times I'm going out with Ace-big versus Ace-smaller is quite distressing.

As for PLO8, I've been getting my feet wet at bigger tables. Last night I played an hour with three times more of my money on the table than for the past few months. I'm not reeeally bankrolled to do that, yet, but I'm testing the waters. I haven't yet noticed a marked difference as I've moved up - perhaps a couple more decent players per table, but still plenty of soft spots. Yesterday may have been deceptive, it being a public holiday in the states, but I made a nice score in the hour.

I've read two of the books I got in Canada. The slim Bobby Baldwin book is readable; the life story is interesting while the poker advice is really just filler and of very minimal value.

However, 'The Professor, The Banker, and The Suicide King' is quite superb. However much you think you know about the Andy Beal game, and the pros involved, I am sure this tome will be an eye-opener. I found it absolutely rivetting, and it was one of those books that ended up forcing myself to put down - so that I could enjoy it for three days, rather than one.

This reminds me of my recent musings on the World Series. I realised that I am far more interested in reading about Daniel Negreanu's big cash games with Barry Greenstein, than in these interminable tournaments. I think that high-stakes cash play is generally far more interesting than tourneys, and I'd be more likely to go to the trouble of getting cable TV for poker-viewing purposes if they showed money games. (I might get cable in time for the next NFL season).

This is not to say I'm not following all the results from the WSOP, which I am, but you take my point I hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home