Thursday, June 09, 2005

Hit stats dropping

I've been keeping abreast of World Series of Poker results. A couple of British players have been close to bracelets - Devilfish was third or something, and Harry Demetriou took second in the 6-max NLHE yesterday.

What interested me was the dramatically smaller turnout for the 6-max tournament than for the other No Limit events. It seems that it doesn't matter what level of the game you look at, a lot of people are still scared of a short-handed game. Me, I don't even consider six seats to be short-handed, really. You can still more or less play poker, you don't have to play every hand, you just get the chance to be a bit more creative with the nuts out against you less often.

Indeed, it drives me nuts at Party when a full table drops just a couple players, and suddenly everyone runs for the hills. A good game turns into a collection of empty seats faster than you can say 'come back you pathetic cowards, its more fun this way and if we keep playing then others will sit down'.

I had a fairly good night last night, lost a tiny bit at 6-max on the old site, playing well but not quite catching a big pot. I was 30% dog in the one promising pot as it turned out, and I couldn't catch that break. I then won a reasonable amount at Party for once, though there were no games at the level I really wanted to play.

I flicked through the PLO section of Super System 2' afterwards, and was reminded how truly little good information on Pot Limit Omaha high or high-low there is in books. I don't think there is a single thing in any book so far that a good player wouldn't have worked out for themselves over time. You will find more 'advanced' thoughts in Big Dave D's blog or occasionally in Rolf Slotboom's articles than in any book published so far. Having said that, it never hurts to re-acquaint oneself with the fundamentals, and I certainly got a head start once I read Ciaffone's book (having been cleaned out in my early forays into the game).

Having said all that, I don't really mind. It is nice to formulate one's own strategies and style, and learn from experience.

AN ASIDE

The headline on the online Cardplayer magazine version of their Paul Darden feature is 'Paul Darden Is Back'. Initially I mis-read it and thought it said 'Paul Darden Is BLACK'. Wow, that's a pretty blunt headline, I mused until I realised my mistake.

ANOTHER ASIDE

My hit stats are dropping gradually at the moment. Maybe people are reading via 'bloglines' or some such service. Or have I gotten really boring lately? Comments welcome.

2 Comments:

At 10:06 pm, Blogger James said...

I've been reading you via Bloglines for a couple months now. Just so convenient. Keep the posts coming!

 
At 9:55 pm, Blogger TenMile said...

diddo jd's.

keep 'em coming.

bloglines needs braggin' rights

 

Post a Comment

<< Home