Friday, September 11, 2009

Splurging

I find it hard to believe I'm betting so many games on the opening weekend of the NFL season. With teams' fortunes often changing dramatically from one season to the next, what am I thinking? Oh well, I'm full of piss and vinegar and hopefully my buccaneering success with this new attitude in poker will translate to betting.

Here are four additions to the already lengthy slate of bets from yesterday:

JAGUARS at Colts +7 I think the Jags will bounce back from last season's let-down. One of their five wins last season came at this stadium, although I'll grant that the Colts were finding their feet in their new home (gee, it was tough not having the piped-in crowd noise any more) and Manning started the season rusty. Even so, Jacksonville know what it takes to play Sindy close and indeed to beat them.
FIVE POINT BET Result: Jacksonville lose but cover by 5

OVER THE TOTAL Dolphins at Falcons 43.5 What you have here is two teams that can pass the ball well, score pretty well in the red-zone and don't have great defenses, particularly against the pass. It's also a non-conference game and therefore a little less tense. Expect points.
FOUR POINT BET Result: only 26 points

UNDER THE TOTAL Redskins at Giants 37.5 No science here. Decent defenses, lots of running, typical NFC East slugging match yada yada yada. I've put more thought into it than that, honestly. But not much more, and I wish the rain and wind wasn't set to subside by Sunday. I'm getting buyer's remorse on this one.
FOUR POINT BET Result: Loss by 2.5 pts on TD with 1:42 remaining

UNDER THE TOTAL Vikings at Browns 40 The Vikings chew the clock by running the ball but aren't great at getting the ball into the endzone. They defend well. Cleveland are likely to look a lot more like their 2008 selves than their successful 2007 model.
FOUR POINT BET Not even close, a hefty 54 points

There you go, follow my advice and win money - but probably best leave the under/overs alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home