Monday, January 10, 2005

Lazy Skull

My game-selection and record-keeping suck. Here’s why:

Last week I was sat in a six-max PLO8 game, doing ok. An acquaintance of mine (have met him in real life after chatting at the tables) who plays online for a living sat down, followed shortly after by another good player. And I stayed there, like a complete blithering idiot – when two of my five opponents were better players than me. Possibly only marginally better - at that game - but better. I have to get it into my thick, lazy skull that game selection encompasses leaving games as well as joining them.

The record-keeping; well, actually I am quite good on the whole. But since New Year I have ended up with notes from each session jotted on about five different pieces of paper, and now I can’t find them all or work out what order they come in, or anything. Unless I can face the dreary prospect of getting it together very soon I am in danger of thinking ‘aw hell’ and giving up. It wouldn’t be a good time to do that, since I have a relatively new game (PLO8) in which to assess my effectiveness, and am also playing a fair few two-table sit and goes at present.

My general impression is that I am doing quite well at PLO8 and having horribly bad luck in two-table tournaments. I need to check the figures of course, but since refreshing some sections of Bob Ciaffone and reading some decent online material I think I have cut out some errors and begun playing pretty well in 8-or-better. As for the tournaments, I’ve not recorded great results, but things really do seem to be going against me. I came fourth the other day, but a flush draw hitting the river denied me going into the last three with a workable stack, fourth being barely worth the effort). Last night I managed to get all-in pre-flop with 99 versus what turned out to be K5h (I dunno what he was thinking). I’m a 2/1 favourite, but a King fell on the turn and that was the end of me, leaving me with two big blinds. I’m also proving incapable of winning a ‘race’, eg. AT versus 66 or vice versa.

Beyond that, life is not bad thanks. I would love to be playing more hours but there you go. Just wait ‘til I move into my own place…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home