Thursday, December 23, 2004

Canute

I am beginning to lose any faith that I can ever record a winning session, ever again. I just cannot buy a card, a flop, a draw, a river. I can't get an opponent holding a 9-high flush to fold against my semi-bluff that screams, consistently and plausibly and powerfully, that I have him beat. I can barely drag a pot over ten bucks.

Yesterday (Tuesday) and today I have played with focus, desire, position, discipline, selective aggression. And absolutely nothing has come of it. I've had an idiot call down my well-played set with his awful flush draw, been straight-flushed on one rare occasion that I filled up, flopped nut house on 998 flop but had the guy with the other 9 hit a kicker, seen an endless sequence of high flops to my low cards and vice versa in PLO8, seen what feels like almost every flop in PLO come paired or complete-flushed whenever I have raised pre-flop, and only ever been dealt strong starters when I am under the gun.

The game is driving me absolutely, totally fucking mad.

I need to hit a hand somewhere along the line to actually kick me off, to get the bankroll moving in the right direction, to give me some much-needed confidence. At present I truly cannot recall how it feels to have the board pair to my set or flush to my suit. I have not had a winning set in five (looking like six in my current session) with one break-even. That is probably my worst sequence ever - not monetarily, but in terms of confidence-sapping, frustrating losses.

As we speak I raise KKxx and an Ace flops.

And one minute later I hit a very lucky river for a $65 pot. Maybe the tide will turn. Call me King Canute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home