Monday, November 15, 2004

High and low

Thursday was nice. I drove up north, having finally managed to work a visit to one of our distributor companies into a suitable social timetable. I was meeting the distributor Friday morning, so driving up Thursday meant I could see my ex on the Thursday night. We had a few drinks with some other friends up there, then she and I stayed up for not long enough drinking wine and laughing. I found myself, as usual, quite overcome with emotion about her. I care about her with a deep passion, stronger than it was for the last few years of our relationship. I would do almost anything for her.

After she went to bed I stayed up a little longer, which meant I got to see a ‘World Poker Tour’ show for the first time on the satellite TV that I am still paying for. It was quite good, I thought – but I guess its easier presenting the climax with only a few players left, than conveying a good sense of the earlier stages with multiple tables.

The Friday was also good; after I had finished the meeting at about midday I took the chance to have a quick wander round the town centre. I miss the place. Also noted that the new Eminem album is out, so I will buy that and the new Kings of Leon one on payday next week.

I got some poker in on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Profit all the way, but nothing big. The most noteworthy thing is that my site finally reintroduced Omaha High/Low (Eight or Better) – hallelujah! I used to play a bit of pot limit O8 back in the day, and a lot of limit even further back when I played at Planet, and I think I am ok at it.

I haven’t dipped into the pot limit game yet; there are some good players of it on my site and I am doing well and feeling comfortable in the high-only games for the time being. But I couldn’t resist running some $1/$2 limit as a second (and briefly third) table behind my usual 6-max PLO. Apart from the brain-strain involved in making sure I don’t start playing hi-lo hands at the high table and vice versa, it’s been sweet enough. About twelve big bets in a couple of hours, having frittered a fair few bets with some poor loose play due to being so pleased to have the game back.

I also played $3/$6 last night for a little while. Don’t laugh, but that is the highest I have ever played in limit poker – despite having played quite a lot of $1/$2 pot limit. It shouldn’t have troubled me too much, but I didn’t feel 100% comfortable. I don’t know whether the fact that we were six and then five-handed made that better or worse.

Anyway, I did okay; played well (tight, naturally), made an irritating but correct laydown on the river, and took a $48 pot when a low failed to come on the river and both opponents checked, forcing me to bet with absolutely nothing and smile as they folded. I suspect I’d have got called down at $1/$2, as this game was noticeably tighter.

I saw the new Bridget Jones movie at the weekend. This may tip you off to the fact that I met The Girl I Was Seeing again, and I’m now seeing her again. Yes, I folded in the face of pressure from my opponent Sexual Desire. A strong, aggressive opponent. With great breasts.

Book update: ‘King of a Small World’ is excellent. You should read it. I’m now onto the Sklansky tournament book, which is not wowing me so far. Much of the material seems to assume a limit tournament as the norm, which surely could not be further from the truth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home