Monday, October 25, 2004

Slacker

I was a real slacker over the weekend; pretty bad considering I was alone at my mate’s house until late Saturday. I only managed slightly under four hours of play, netting $50.

On Friday night I stayed home, but was feeling very tired indeed. I was happy to quit winners, even by only $30 in nearly three hours over two tables, having suffered a one out beat, and then a four-outer in a decent sized pot. I got lucky in a way with the one-outer. I had flopped a full house, my opponent hit a gutshot straight flush, and I checked it down on the river by making a mis-click! I actually had a curious suspicion that I was beaten, but intended to bet anyway since leaving money on the table in such situations has always been a weakness of mine.

The two beats cost me around $60, but I am not complaining as I have been running pretty good, and proceeded to hit my own one-outer on Saturday. I flopped the ‘under-full’ with my QQ on an AAQ flop and got all-in on the flop, since my QQ made an AQ holding unlikely for my opponent. When the dust settled, he hit his Aces full on the turn but the river came the remaining Queen to give me the pot.

I wasn’t exactly outlandishly lucky, since I was a favourite when the money went in versus his maximum of ten outs, but it felt nice to hit something like that. That pot gave me my profit for just an hour on Saturday after which I was occupied with other things. (You wouldn’t believe me if I told you).

Today is payday, and over the last two calendar months I have made the equivalent of 25% of my ‘real’ salary from poker. A nice, much-needed financial bonus.

Elsewhere, life has been unremarkable. A decent-looking girl on the dating site wanted a date but then changed her mind - put off, I think, by my avowed aversion to long-term commitment. I’m not really fussed one way or the other, and you can’t blame her. She probably wants somebody to have some fun with for a few months, then buy a house together, argue about money, spend weekends in soul-destroying DIY and home furnishings stores, argue about chores, lose sexual interest and then drift into middle age too scared and too entangled to leave the cold, dead relationship. Unfortunately, I just can’t offer all that.

On the other hand, some IM talk with the older woman has moved on and I’ve been the recipient of some near-naked pictures. And wow, what a body! This needs careful thought…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home