Monday, July 12, 2004

Really geeky

I got another comment, but I'm concerned about it - is Boy Genius really ticked off with my comments about his stated height and weight? Or is he just bantering with me? I do hate to cause offence, although I gotta take issue with his comment about out-dated olde worlde measurement systems. Stones and pounds is not really very different to simply quoting pounds, and in fact the UK (led reluctantly by Europe) is moving more and more towards kilograms. I don't actually know what I weigh in kilos, but I think its about 70.

Back to the poker: I played Friday night, before spending the rest of the weekend at the coast with my girl. I only played a couple of hours, because I - GASP!! - stopped when I got tired. Is some self-discipline creeping in to my game and life?

It went okay, nearly thirty dollars won. I lost three big bets in five card stud, then found a great PLO game. Sadly, I only turned a tiny profit in that, losing two pots totalling fifty dollars to fairly horrible outdraws. Don't get me wrong, Omaha is very much a battle between made and drawing hands, where the draw can oftentimes be favourite. But these were rubbish hands - one of them a lower straight than mine, which hit a three-outer gutshot to outstraight me on the river. The other a naked flush draw, which the guy played aaaaall wrong.

In fact, my entire profit for the evening came from three $10 heads-up matches, of which I won all three. Two were against the same guy who turned out, oddly, to live in the same village as me and work in the same street as my job as well.

Whenever I hit a little run in these heads-ups, I start doing the maths and trying to work out whether I could/should make them my staple. If I was playing them consistently, keeping notes on opponents to seek and avoid, I reckon I would do okay. The chap from my village showed the usual profile of somebody I would beat regularly - namely, he was prepared to call all-in on the river when I had an overpair and there was a one-gap straight on board, yet he could only show down third pair. Yep, the kind of guy who takes any large bet to be an elaborate gutsy bluff. Maybe its because I bet so frequently in heads-up. Well sure, I do, but I don't get involved in monster pots with nothing.

Anyway, I was happy with my play in all three forms of poker for the night, so that is good.

Me and the girl booked our holiday; we fly on Friday to Corfu. We had a nice weekend too, mainly kicking back and watching DVDs which included Spiderman, possibly the fifth time I have seen it. I am waiting very impatiently for the sequel to arrive in the UK on Thursday, and may even be really geeky and watch it at the first possible showing at five past midnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home